Coatmaster Flex Redesign
coatmaster AG has developed, manufactured and successfully marketed a mobile handheld device for contactless coating thickness measurement. Customer feedback, functional enhancements, and increased production volumes suggested a revision of the product.
coatmaster AG asked Helbling to redesign the existing device. Key requirements were cost reduction, assembly optimization, implementation of new functions, and improvement of the system’s robustness. The focus of the work was on changing the manufacturing process to injection molding for the housing parts while retaining the existing industrial design.
Key data and technical details
- Advanced Thermal Optics (ATO) as measuring technology
- Non-destructive coating thickness measurement of wet and powder coatings in the range 1 – 1000 µm
- Measuring time 0.25 s, waiting time between two measurements 2 s
- Documentation of measurement data in a cloud solution
- Weight 1.3 kg
- Dimensions 374 x 91 x 203 mm3